Peoples Social Forum #PSF2014 Session on the Progressive Trade Alternative Join us Friday, August 22 at 2:45pm at the Peoples Social Forum MRT 211 for an in-depth discussion on a progressive trade alternative for Canada. https://cpress.org/leftnews/social-forum-session-on-progressive-trade-alternative https://cpress.org/leftnews/social-forum-session-on-progressive-trade-alternative/@@download/image/CETAMythsEN.png
Trade that works for people and the planet: Building a Progressive Trade Alternative
The Trade Justice Networkand coalition partners will facilitate a session launching cross-country consultations on building concrete alternatives to the current neoliberal trade model.
The goal will be to establish Canada-wide local organizing capacity to:
- Raise awareness about the dangers of trade and investment deals and current negotiations.
- Dispel the myth that to oppose or criticize free trade deals is to be against trade.
- Understand the regional and sectoral impacts of Canada’s traditional trade agenda.
- Begin to outline and promote an alternative vision of fair trade agreements that benefit everyone – not just a global corporate elite.
- Engage traditional and non-traditional allies in the fight for trade justice, making the links between their struggles and the overarching economic order imposed in the free trade era.
Participants will build on the principles and basic foundation of the European Alternative Trade Mandate, updating and expanding these documents to reflect the Canadian historical, political and social context.